Thursday, April 25, 2013

Leaders of the Ex-Gay Movement are (and have been) changing their minds. Part 1


As I mentioned in the previous post, I am sharing posts about various leaders in the Ex-Gay Movement.  Exodus International is an umbrella organization over many of the ex-gay ministries.  John Paulk managed the ex-gay conference entitled Love Won Out for the organization, Focus on the Family.  He and his wife Anne wrote a book under the same title.  John spent many years in ex-gay ministry.  He and I met one year at an Exodus Conference and he later wrote a piece for a publication of mine.  In recent years, he ceased his ex-gay work, as I did.  He has been portrayed in the media in not so favorable light, as he has moved on, changing his career and life.  According to The Advocate, John has renounced his involvement with the ex-gay movement and has apologized for serving as an advocate and spokesman.  In the article, John made a statement that echoes true in my life experience as it relates to my ex-gay involvement.  “And while many things in my life did change as a Christian, my sexual orientation did not." 

John is only one of these former leaders that have walked away from the world of ex-gay.  He appears that he accepts his sexuality and understands that it is not incongruent with the love of God.  Acceptance and understanding are good things to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment